First off thank you to one of my readers Megan Roberts for reminding me how good zucchini “pasta” can be! I have made zucchini strips a while back http://primaljourney.blogspot.co.nz/2009/11/i-think-its-about-time-i-posted.html and http://primaljourney.blogspot.co.nz/2011/06/its-been-crap-week.html but I don’t do it much because slicing it super thin with a knife is pretty time consuming, so I got a julienne peeler and viola it’s easy peasy!
This is one of my favourite concoctions:
- 1 large breast of chicken chopped up into bite sized pieces
- 4 strips of streaky bacon chopped up
- 5-6 pieces of Dutch salami chopped into strips
- 5-6 large sundried tomatoes chopped up
- 75gms Creamy feta (more or less depending on your taste preference)
- Handful of frozen or fresh spinach
- 200-250mls Cream
- 2-3 zucchinis julienned mixed with 1 Tbsp Basil Pesto
- Knob of butter
- Garnish: Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese and Salt & Pepper
Fry the bacon, once browned put aside, fry the chicken using the bacon drippings. Once the chicken is almost cooked throw back in the bacon, salami, sundried tomatoes, spinach and the cream, start to reduce the sauce by just simmering for a few minutes on a low heat, then add your feta for the last remaining minutes. Take off the heat and put aside.
In a separate non stick frying pan melt a knob of butter and flash fry the zucchini and pesto mixture, you don’t want to do it for long otherwise your zucchini will go mushy, add the noodles to the creamy chicken and serve immediately, grate some fresh parmesan on top and some freshly cracked pepper and salt.
Warning: Super rich!!!